Thursday, September 24, 2009

Reflection

In my opinion, I think my reading habits aren’t very good. Most people love to read or reading would be one of their hobbies but I’m not one of those people. The only time that I like reading is if the book is interesting or it is something I like reading about. For example, during all my years in high school and all the books I read, the only book that I enjoyed reading was Lord of the Flies. Most of the time when I read is when I am assign to other than that I don’t read very often or if I do read, it usually take me awhile to finish up a book. When I was younger I loved reading. I would always borrow my friend’s book and actually read them. I don’t know why I stop reading as often but since I stop now it is not easy for me to understand a text. I have a hard time understanding the reading if I’m not interested in it. Sometime I would read something but right after I have no idea what I just read about so most of the time I would read the same paragraph over and over until I understand it. The only people that I know that loves to read are my friends. My family doesn’t really like reading either, the only time they would read is when it is interesting. As I was growing up, the only people that encourage me to read was my friends; they would always tell me about a book that is really good and they know that I would like it. That is the reason why most of the time I would read a book; when I hear about the book and when people say it is good. My parents don’t speak English so they don’t know how to read it so as I was growing up they never read to me. They never read me bedtime stories or help me with a word I don’t understand so most of the times when I need help with a word I would go ask my older brother or I would ask my teacher.

3 comments:

  1. In so many ways im like that too. I really enjoyed reading Lord of the flies. My comprehension skills is so low. I read something and i ask myself "What did i read" i find myself going back to the text and try finding out the answers. I agree with you when you said the material has to be interesting for you to get into it. I think as we get older we will enjoy reading any types of material and not be so picky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, I don't think my reading habits are very good either. Like yourself I tend to forget what I just read unless I find it interesting.I also find it hard to get the writer's or text's point if its an informational book. But unlike yourself I never read as a kid because I struggled with it for so long. I remember I only had one book to read as a child so I find it surprising that you enjoyed it to so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I disagree thet most people like to read i think its the other way around. Most people hate to read. Did you ever find someone to read to you since your parents could not? I found thet ali threw school i didnt like one book we read sadly including the one we are reading now. I like the way you made that connection.

    ReplyDelete